The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) is pleased to announce that the 2021 Red Bull UCI Pump Track World Championships will take place in Lisbon, Portugal, from 15 to 17 October.
The competitions will take place on the pump track at Parque das Nações, a track measuring some 300 metres situated at the foot of the spectacular Vasco de Gama Bridge, which spans the Tagus River in the north of the Portuguese capital.
After a very successful first edition organised in Köniz-Oberried, near Bern (Switzerland) in 2019, the 2020 edition of the Red Bull UCI Pump Track World Championships, which should have taken place in Leogang (Austria) in October, were cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the cancellation of the majority of qualification events worldwide (only 6 out of 29 were able to take place).
The UCI, in collaboration with its partners Velosolutions and Red Bull, therefore decided that all athletes who had qualified for the 2020 Red Bull UCI Pump Track World Championships would be assured of a starting spot in the 2021 edition of the UCI Worlds.
Six qualification events have already taken place this year and another six are confirmed. It is worth noting that the reigning UCI World Champions, Americans Tommy Zula and Payton Ridenour, are already qualified. More than 70 athletes from 25 countries are expected in Lisbon.
2021 calendar of qualification competitions for the Red Bull UCI Pump Track World Championships in Lisbon:
- 20.03.2021 : Cambridge (New Zealand)
- 21.04.2021 : Bariloche (Argentina)
- 15.05.2021 : Gaston County (USA)
- 22.05.2021 : Springdale (USA)
- 23.05.2021 : Mount Gambier (Australia)
- 29.05.2021 : Paris, Texas (USA)
- 12.06.2021 : Gambettola (Italy)
- 10.07.2021 : Kazan (Russia)
- 31.07.2021 : St Charles County (USA)
- 28.08.2021 : Berlin (Germany)
- 18.09.2021 : Eindhoven (Pays-Bas)
- 25.09.2021 : Schüpfheim (Switzerland).
More qualification events will be confirmed shortly.
Photo: 2021 Red Bull UCI Pump Track World Championships venue - Lisbon (POR) - ©Hugo Silva