The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) and cycling event organiser Golazo are pleased to announce today the addition of six more events to the UCI Gran Fondo World Series calendar in 2021. The circuit will now include 25 events taking place between February and September 2021 across 21 countries and four continents.
The six new rounds are as follows:
- Gran Fondo Australia, in Ballarat (Australia), from 4 to 6 February
- Granfondo Coimbra Region, in Montemor-o-Velho (Portugal), from 16th to 18th April
- Gran Fondo Antalya, in Antalya (Turkey), from 30 April to 2 May
- Granfondo Vosges, in La Bresse (France), 16 May
- Tour Lakeland, in Lahti (Finland), July 23rd-24th
- Granfondo Isle of Man, in Ramsey (Great Britain), from 30 July to 1 August.
Some events that were to join the series in 2020 will make their real appearance in 2021 after their cancellation this year in the international health context of the Covid-19 pandemic. These events are the Around Samcheok (Republic of Korea), the Granfondo Banja Luka FTA (Bosnia-Herzegovina), the Granfondo Moscow (Russia), the Gran Fondo Dnipro Race (Ukraine), the Granfondo Suisse (Switzerland) and the Appalachian Classic (Canada).
The other rounds have been on the calendar of the UCI Granfondo World Series for several years.
The 2021 UCI Gran Fondo World Championships will take place in Banja Luka (Bosnia-Herzegovina) from 1 to 5 September 2021. Participants can look forward to a 22 km flat time trial in the city centre, a team relay and a 155 km Granfondo or 96 km Mediofondo, both of which will take place on hilly roads. The riders will already be able to test the courses during the qualification event organised on May 8th and 9th.